Torch Talks are informative sessions for parents, hosted by the Parents' Guild
Topic: Disciplined vs Disordered Eating: How to Promote Nutrition without Triggering Obsession
Date: February 12, 2022
Time: 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM (1-hour presentation and half-hour for questions)
Location: Zoom Register Here
Dr. Adrienne Leslie-Toogood, PHD, C. PSYCH, MPC (CSPA)
Jorie Janzen, Dietician
When does eating “clean” go from being healthy to unhealthy? And how do we embrace the person in front of us and help them to be the best version of themselves?
Nearly 1 million Canadians are living with a diagnosable eating disorder – AND there are millions of others who struggle with food and weight preoccupation. Eating disorders and orthorexia, an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food, are known, but not well understood, often going unrecognized and untreated.
This Torch Talk aims to empower parents and educators to identify when children/students, and athletes are on a slippery slope from disciplined to disordered eating and learn how to promote a positive relationship with food while keeping healthy, well, and performing.
Goals for this year’s Torch Talk include empowering parents and educators to:
- Assist youth with self-acceptance and self-compassion
- Identify dysfunctional and disordered eating
- Understand strategies for prevention, treatment and recovery
- Educate on unintended consequences in nutrition conversations, education and athletic coaching
- Promote positive relationships with one’s body, food and whole self
After attending this Torch Talk participants will:
- Understand a brief history of healthy diets, clean eating and where we are today.
- Understand the individual behind the dysfunctional eating behavior. How does health and discipline become disordered?
- Learn the difference between dysfunctional eating vs eating disorder (non-sport perspective & sport perspective)
- Learn what is Orthorexia and Alexithymia
- Explore strategies to promote a healthy relationship with food (non-sport perspective & sport perspective)
- Explore strategies for creating a healthy environment
All parents and guardians welcome
Past Torch Talks
2021: Leaning In, Leaning On, Leaning Towards - A Real Talk for Unreal Times
2020: Addiction Among Us. Subtle Signs, Supports, and a Story of Resilience
2019: Challenges Facing Adolescent Girls
2018: Perspectives on Cultivating Wellbeing in Young Women
2017: Leading by Love - Raising Kids with Social Conscience
2016: The Teenage Brain