2020-2021 School Year
St. Mary’s Academy plan that meets Government guidelines in the Restricted (orange) level, taking effect Monday, October 26.
Classrooms are configured to allow for two metres of physical distancing to the greatest extent possible.
- Excess furnishings have been removed from classrooms wherever possible to allow for maximum distancing of desks/chairs.
Additional learning space has been configured.
- The large boardroom in our 1902 building is converted into a classroom.
- Note: prior to school resuming in September, several areas of our campus were converted to learning spaces to accommodate physical distancing, such as the Auditorium in the 1902 building, Durocher Library and the Multi-purpose room.
Lunch space added.
- The lower foyer in the 1964 building (basement by Alumnae Hall) converted to a space where senior students can eat lunch. This allows for increased distancing of tables/chairs to two metres in the cafeteria and atrium.
Grades 9 to 12 students will participate in a blend of in-class and remote learning following SMA’s regular timetable. When students are physically present at SMA they will remain in the same cohort they are currently in. Students’ school week will be structured as follows:
Grades 11 and 12 will attend classes at SMA on even days of the school-day-cycle, and participate in remote learning on odd days of the school-day-cycle.
- In-class at SMA on school days 2, 4 and 6.
- Remote learning from home on school days 1, 3 and 5, following regular class schedule.
The week of October 26th for the grades 11 and 12 students:
- Attend classes at SMA on Tuesday, October 27 and Thursday, October 29
- Participate in remote learning following the regular class schedule on Wednesday, October 28 and Friday, October 30
Grades 9 and 10 will attend classes at SMA on odd days of the school-day-cycle, and participate in remote learning on even days of the school-day cycle.
- In-class at SMA on school days 1, 3 and 5.
- Remote learning from home on school days 2, 4 and 6, following regular class schedule.
The week of October 26th for the grades 9 and 10 students:
- Attend classes at SMA on Wednesday, October 28 and Friday, October 30
- Participate in remote learning following the regular class schedule on Tuesday, October 27 and Thursday, October 29
This blended learning model reduces the number of students on campus which allows for two metres of distance in common areas during lunch hour and at the beginning and end of the school day. It also allows for the continuation of community building, keeping students connected to their peers and teachers.
In-class Learning for Grades 7 and 8
Grades 7 and 8 students will continue their learning in-class at SMA.
Why All Girls?
St. Mary’s Academy is a Catholic school for girls in the tradition of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. Our mission is to nurture young women, spirit, mind and body, so that each student reaches her full potential as an individual created in God’s image.
St. Mary’s Academy strives to keep students, parents, alumnae and friends informed about events and activities at the Academy. The Torch Light magazine, for alumnae and friends, is published annually in September. A Newsletter for parents and students is published four times during the school year. A Communiqué for parents and students is published at the end of each school week. A Cafeteria Menu is published monthly. For recent news and updates, scroll down to access our social media feeds.