Admission to St. Mary’s Academy is based upon the Academy’s ability to meet the needs of the applicant, and the applicant’s potential to successfully complete the university entrance academic program and to make a positive contribution to the school community.
Applications are accepted for all grades with Grade 7 as the main entry level. There is a secondary entry level at Grade 9 but space is limited with only 25-30 new students accepted.
The admissions process is competitive. Each year there are more applicants than spaces available. Favourable consideration is given to applicants from a Catholic parochial school, to those who are active members of a Catholic parish and to those whose sister or mother attended SMA.
The admissions process begins each Fall for the next school year. Refer to the Admissions Calendar below for important dates and deadlines.
SMA Admissions Package
You may request an admissions package, or you can download the admissions forms below. All six documents must be submitted with a copy of the applicant's most recent report card for a complete application.
- President's Letter
- Declaration and Consent — St. Mary’s Academy is required to comply with the federal government’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act which requires us to obtain consent whenever we're collecting personal information and to identify how the collected information will be used and disclosed.
- Application Form
- Student Profile
- School Reference
- Pastors Recommendation
For more information or to request an admissions package, contact Ms. Judy Ashcroft in the Admissions Office, 204-478-6048,
1. Parents/guardians complete the Application and the Declaration and Consent forms, and the student applicant completes the Student Profile form. Return these forms to the Admissions Office along with a $75 application fee and a copy of the student's birth certificate prior to sitting the entrance test.
2. Two copies of the school reference form are to be completed by two separate people at the student’s current school and sent directly by the school to the SMA Admissions Office.
3. Submit a copy of the applicant’s most recent report card for the current year prior to your interview. Submit a copy of the applicant’s final report as soon as it becomes available in June.
4. Parents/guardians should complete the upper portion of the pastor’s form and give it to the pastor. The pastor completes the bottom portion and sends the form directly to the Admissions Office at the Academy. Applicants without a church affiliation are asked to provide a letter of reference attesting to the applicant’s personal qualities.
5. Applicants must write an entrance exam on one of the two scheduled sittings at the Academy. You will be notified of date and time.
6. Interviews for applicants and their parents will be held late February, early March. You will be notified of date and time. Please contact Ms. Judy Ashcroft if you have any questions.
7. Notifications of acceptance are mailed by mid-April. Acceptance is contingent upon the applicant’s successful completion of the current academic year.
8. When an applicant is notified of acceptance, an enrollment contract is enclosed. When the signed contract is returned with a $600 deposit (non-refundable but credited toward tuition) the student is fully enrolled at St. Mary’s Academy.
9. An appointment for a uniform fitting and purchase is included with the notification of acceptance.
September 2017 — Begin accepting applications for 2018 - 2019
Jan. 16, 2018 — Information Session in Alumnae Hall at 7 p.m., followed by Open House
Feb. 2, 2018 — Deadline for applications for 2018 - 2019
Feb. 10, 2018 — First sitting of entrance exam at 10 a.m.
Feb. 25, 2018 — Second sitting of entrance exam at 1 p.m.
Feb. 25, 2018 — Interviews for applicant and parent(s) from Noon – 3 p.m.
March 7, 2018 — Interviews for applicants and parent(s) from 4 – 7 p.m.
March 8, 2018 — Interviews for applicant and parent(s) from 4 – 7 p.m.
Mid–April — Admission decision and notification
May 1, 2018 — Enrolment documentation and tuition deposit due
May 1, 2018 — Bursary Application due
Mid–May — Appointments for uniform fittings & purchases
June — Final report card due