Volleyball Skills Program
The Volleyball Skills Academy is a program of intensive training under the direction of Mr. Mike Burchuk of Volleyball Experience. The goal of the program is to help participants develop volleyball skills and understand various aspects of the game.
2017 marks the 9th year for the Volleyball Skills Academy. Check back for a downloadable brochure with details on the Skills Academy taking place this Fall.
- The program offers 3 levels of instruction: Grade 7, Grades 8 & 9, and Grades 10-12.
- Each level trains twice per 6-day cycle in the morning from 7 – 8:15 a.m.
- Each level receives 15 sessions of training.
- Training sessions start in mid-September and end in mid-November.
- If a morning session is cancelled, it is made up in mid-November.
Each training session includes:
- A brief warm-up.
- A circuit involving footwork, movement and spike approaches.
- Drills covering the various technical aspects of the game.
Meet the Coach – Mike Burchuk
- Two-time Olympic coach of Team Canada Women’s Team (assistant coach at 1984 Los Angeles Games and head coach at 1996 Atlanta Games).
- Coached Team Canada to first-ever bronze medal at the 1995 Pan Am Games in Mar Del Plata, Argentina.
- Coached Team Manitoba to gold medal at 1979 Canada Winter Games in Brandon.
- Coached Winnipeg Wesmen to six consecutive national championships from 1983-88, (record during this time 327 wins, 9 losses).
- Assistant coach/consultant to Rick Scott and Lord Selkirk Royals 2004-2007 — 4-time provincial 4A Champs.
- Assistant coach/consultant to Christine Rewniak and St. Mary’s Academy Flames — 2009 provincial Final Four.
- Assistant coach/consultant to Brenda Westwood and Shock 13U Team 2010, and 14U in 2011 — Provincial and National Champs.
- Has coached approximately 3,875 athletes at WINTERVOLLEY and 3460 at SUMMERVOLLEY during the past 14 years.
The cost of this program is $225 per athlete. Please make cheques payable to Volleyball Experience.
Participants must have accident insurance, either through a parental benefits package or through student accident insurance. No refunds will be given for students who drop out once the program begins, unless a student is unable to continue in the program due to illness or injury.